Most affiliate marketeer knows about the Amazon Associate Program since it’s the biggest affiliate program around. If you’re looking for a good competitor, you should check out the Walmart Affiliate Program. The affiliate program is not as well known, but Walmart has been expending their online sales in the USA tremendously in the past years.
How to become a Walmart Affiliate?
You can’t find the Walmart affiliate program on the main page of their website. However, a quick search shows that their affiliate program is located at affiliates.walmart.com. Once you click the “Become a member” button on their affiliate site you can start the application process by filling in a form. Walmart uses Impact Radius as it’s Affiliate Service Provider. If you already have an Impact Radius account, log in there first so you won’t need to fill in the form.
Once you’ve submitted the form, Walmart will approve or decline your account within 24 hours. If you want to know whether your site is eligible, check the Walmart Affiliate TOS.
Walmart Affiliate Commission Rates
The commission you earn as a Walmart affiliate depends on the department category of the sold products. You can earn a lot on contact lenses for example which have a commission rate of 10%. Home and jewelry will earn you 4% while books and electronics have a baseline rate of only 1%.
Walmart Affiliate Payout
Walmart uses Impact Radius as it’s Affiliate Service Provider, so you can request a payment within the Impact Radius dashboard. Before you can get a payout you’ll need to submit tax documents. This is either a W9, W8-BEN or W8-BEN-E depending on where your live and the type of company your running.
Once you’ve submitted your tax documents you can choose to be paid by either ACH, International Wire or Check. The minimum payout is set at $100.
Walmart Affiliate Program Advantages
- Simple interface to track all sales, impressions, click-through rates and commissions through Impact Radius.
- Weekly newsletter with banners, links and information about products to feature on your site.
- A lot of shopping departments to choose from, including niches like Video Games, Auto & Tires, Home Improvements and much, much more.
- A well-known and popular store in the United States.
- 3 days cookie length (which is pretty high, compared to Amazon’s 1 day cookie length)
- High chance of cross-sells
Walmart Affiliate Program Disadvantages
- You don’t get paid for grocery pickups and deliveries.
- Walmart operates in the US only.
We wouldn’t recommend replacing the Amazon Associate Program with the Walmart Affiliate Program, but the Walmart Affiliate program can be a good addition. They have a great assortment of products to promote. Their rates are competitive with some rates a bit lower than the Amazon program and some a bit higher (For example: toys will earn you 4% at Walmart and 3% at Amazon). If you have US traffic, give the Walmart affiliate program a try!