Every once in a while we do a thorough review of an affiliate program. Today we’re reviewing Etsy. Does Etsy have an affiliate program? They do since 2014! Let’s have a detailed look at the Etsy affiliate program.
What is Etsy?
Basically, Etsy is huge web-shop consisting of thousands of small web-shops. An online marketplace that connects buyers and sellers. The difference from online shops like Amazon is that at Etsy people make, sell, buy, and collect unique items. You can find handmade, vintage and custom gifts from independent sellers. In 2019 Etsy had over 2,5 million sellers and over 45 million buyers!*
How to become an Etsy affiliate?
The Etsy affiliate program is part of affiliate network AWIN. You need to sign up for AWIN first, Once registered you can search within the AWIN advertisers and select the Etsy affiliate program. Note that there is an affiliate program for each country, but affiliates should only apply to their specific country program. Commissions will be rewarded no matter what country the sale was made in.
Once you’ve selected your specific country program, you can see a lot of information about the affiliate program. If you want to join the program, just click “Join Programme”. You will need to specify from which website you’ll promote Etsy and optionally you can leave a message for the program administrator.
Who qualifies for the affiliate program?
You want be accepted into the program immediately. There are a few requirements you need to meet before you can join the Etsy affiliate program. These are the most important ones:
- You must have a website and all unique sites must be approved separately by Etsy
- You must have an appropriate amount of content on your site.
For all requirements, check out https://www.etsy.com/legal/affiliates
Etsy commission rates
Once you’ve joined the program, you can create affiliate links and start earning money from each sale referred by you. This is how much you can earn:
- Standard publisher rate 4% – If you join the Etsy affiliate program, the standard rate commission rate will be 4%. So for each order of $100, you will receive $4.
- User Generated Content: 2% – I’m not sure what user generated content means in the terms of this affiliate program, but it probably applies when you have a platform like Pinterest.
- Cashback/Loyalty (evaluated on an individual basis): 2% – Cashback and loyalty sites get a commission of 2%, but they are often not accepted.
Etsy affiliate program cookie duration
Etsy affiliate cookies are valid for thirty days, however, if a customer visits Etsy through multiple affiliate links then the last clicked affiliate link will receive the commission.
Policies and rules for the Etsy affiliate program
There are a few rules worth mentioning to interested affiliates:
- Etsy sellers are eligible for the Affiliates Program but are not eligible to earn commission on sales from their own shops
- Affiliates may only post affiliate links on social media feeds they operate in line with their website URL, such as Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter. Affiliate links are prohibited on some social sharing sites, such as Pinterest and Tumblr.
- “Pop-ups” and “pop-unders” are not allowed.
For all rules, check out https://www.etsy.com/legal/affiliates
- Etsy is a huge online shop for handmade, vintage and custom gifts.
- You can join the Etsy affiliate program through AWIN.
- You need to have a website to be eligible for the affiliate program.
- Etsy offers a commission rate of 4%.
- Cookies last 30 days.
If you have a website in the clothes, jewelry, handmade, vintage or gifts niche, then the Etsy affiliate program will be great for you.